Your website must be fully accessible using only a keyboard.
What you need to know
- Everything on your website must be accessible without using a mouse.
- Certain programs that require a keyboard, for example, painting programs, may fall under an exception.
What you need to do
- Unplug your mouse and make sure you can do everything on your website that you would be able to do with the mouse operating.
- Make sure you have no specific timings for individual keystrokes, for example, requiring a user to hold down a key or make multiple keystrokes within a few seconds before the keystroke is registered.
- Here are some elements you should double check:
- Submission buttons
- Media players
- Navigation menus and submenus
- Sidebar content
- Embedded content
Read the full explanation of success criterion 2.1.1 on W3.org.
Check out “Keyboard Accessible: Make all functionality available from a keyboard” from WebAIM for more information about this success criterion.